Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo Away!

I've been aware of National Novel Writing Month for a couple of years now.  I'll admit that the first time I saw a Twitter friend mention it, I thought the idea was a little bit crazy.  This year, however, I decided to dive in.  I tossed the idea around for a few days as I saw other people on Twitter talking about making their preparations and last night, two hours before it kicked off, I decided to register and make a go of it.  I figured that if I was ever going to do something like this, now would be the time.  I'm absurdly underemployed and almost completely lack what most twenty-somethings would describe as a social life.  Now, I know that you're thinking, "But Kris, shouldn't you be writing your novel instead of writing about writing your novel?"  And the answer to that question would be a resounding yes.  However, anyone who would ask me that clearly lacks appreciation for my extraordinary powers of procrastination.  It's all a part of the creative process.

I started writing at midnight and made it through 858 words before I decided to call it quits for the night at 1:30 am.  I can always tell when I'm too tired to continue writing because my phonics start to get wonky as I type.  It's not pretty; as a grammar elitist, it's a point of pride that I get some sleep and come back to the computer when I'm rested enough to continue properly.

I'll be honest: I kind of hate what I have written so far.  I've always been a good writer, but I've almost exclusively written academic papers.  Creative storytelling is something that's more or less new to me.  I think it'll get better after I power through this opening chapter and move on to the characters that I really like.  I have a feeling that it's just a matter of finding my own writing voice and figuring how to put the images in my head down onto paper.  It's definitely a different process than pounding out a thesis statement and some analytic paragraphs.  I need to convince myself to write the novel my own way, not try to make it perfect or fit into some preconceived notion of what it should look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment