Sunday, December 16, 2012

Upcycled Cardigan

The ugly Walmart sweater that I cut up into a skirt in the previous post had a red twin.  It just so happened that I had some scraps of red satin-y fabric from another project that I recently finished, so I decided that I would turn the ugly sweater into a cute cardigan with shiny lining along the inside flaps.


I started by cutting straight down the center of the front of the sweater.  I can't promise that the cut was completely straight because I just free-handed it from the point in the v-neck, but I did the best that I could.  I figure nobody will really notice if it's a little off anyway.


Then I cut out two long, narrow pieces of the red satin-y fabric, one for each side of the center of the cardigan.  I pinned them, right sides together, to the front of the cardigan and sewed.


Then I ironed the edges down to hide the hem and sewed another seam along the inside of the satin lining.


And this was the result.  I didn't add any buttons or closures because I didn't feel like dealing with any of that.  The best part is that now that I have the method down, I have an even cooler cardigan project in the works.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love shiny. Also self-pics when you have housemates is dead wrong, son.

    ReplyDelete